Web Playback SDK Beta
Important: The Web Playback SDK is currently in Beta. The content and functionality may change without warning in future versions.
About the SDK
Some things you can do with the Web Playback SDK:
- Create a new player in Spotify Connect
- Stream an audio track in supported browsers
- Get metadata for the current track
- Get metadata about the user’s listening session
- Control local playback (pause, resume, volume, etc)
Some things you cannot do with the Web Playback SDK:
- Download audio / video
- Manipulate audio / video
- Authenticate the user with Spotify (Check out Web API using OAuth.)
- Control playback of other devices (Check out the Connect Web API.)
- Play a track from a Spotify URI (You can do this through the Web API. Pause/resume can be done inside the SDK.)
- Access the Web API (You can integrate this separately from our Web API Console.)
- A Client ID and Client Secret, which can be obtained from our Dashboard
- Authenticated users must have a valid Spotify Premium subscription
- A supported web browser running on the user’s device
|Mac/Windows/Linux||Chrome, Firefox, IE*||✓ Supported|
|Microsoft Edge||✓ Supported|
|Safari||✕ Not Supported|
|Android||Chrome, Firefox||✕ Not Supported|
|iOS||Safari, Chrome||✕ Not Supported|
* IE 11 or above. Must be on Windows 8.1 or above.
Tutorial and Examples
We provide a beginner’s tutorial to help you get started with the Web Playback SDK. It leads you through the creation of a simple web app that makes a Spotify Player instance that can be controlled through Spotify Connect.
The API documentation is available online.
Please report problems with this SDK through the public issue tracker on GitHub.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Web Playback SDK work on mobile devices?
No, the Web Playback SDK works only in supported browsers.