Allow your application to interact with the Spotify app running in the background as a service.
This SDK lets you offload complexity to the main Spotify application such as: playback, authentication, networking, and offline caching. This means that you can focus on making your own user experience delightful.
We have a friendly Getting Started guide which walks you through configuring your Xcode project, as well as authenticating users, connecting to the Spotify main application, and subscribing to player state changes.
To use the Spotify iOS SDK, your application will need to get the user's permission to control playback remotely first. We provide built-in support for this (as seen in the User Authentication section of the Getting Started), and additional scopes can be requested for making calls to the Spotify Web API.
In the iOS SDK GitHub, you will find a Demo Projects folder containing numerous demo applications with full source provided to help you build your first application with the iOS SDK.
- Lightweight SDK
- Always-in-sync Playback (via the Spotify main application)
- Offline support *
- Built-in networking, track relinking, and caching support
*Excludes calls to the Web API. User must initially authenticate your application, which requires an internet connection.
The latest stable version of the iOS SDK can be downloaded from GitHub.
- A deployment target of iOS 9 or higher is required
- Architectures supported:
x86_64for the iOS simulator
- A physical iOS device is needed to install the Spotify app. Learn more about building to devices.
The documentation is organized as follows:
- Concepts that clarify key topics
- Tutorials, which serve as an introduction to important topics when using iOS SDK
- Reference, the API specification
The download packages include comprehensive documentation of all API classes
/docs folder. You can also read the documentation
Please report problems with this SDK through the public issue tracker on GitHub.
Note that by using Spotify iOS SDK, you accept our Developer Terms of Service.